The RITE Richmond team has been inspired by local resident Marion Smith to create a code of Ethics. When Ms. Smith wrote her letter to the editor she made a very valid point when she said:
“I would like to see our city council candidates support the institution of a code of ethics for Richmond’s elected officials and employees. Such a code would remind everyone that the taxpayer is the city employer and that decisions made must be in the best interests of the taxpayer, always.”
RITE Richmond whole heartedly agrees with Ms. Smith and we want to thank her for providing us with such a simple but important direction.
The Richmond Independent Team of Electors (RITE) Richmond City Council announce our code of Ethics and promise to always work and live by these.
RITE Code of Ethics
Put public interest first
Act with integrity, fairness and professionalism
Act with competence and diligence
Act in accordance with the law
Conduct business with objectivity, transparency and accountability
We solemnly declare this is our Code of Ethics.
City Councillor Carol Day
City Councillor Michael Wolfe
RITE Richmond – Constitution
The purposes of RITE Richmond are to:
1. Carry on the functions of a civic political party, and to nominate and support candidates for elected political positions and appointments in the City of Richmond;
2. Develop a community-based democracy, which encourages local decision-making to put the public’s interest first;
3. Provide transparency to the fundraising process, by providing contribution lists (monetary and in-kind) on a regular basis and before election day;
4. Work towards achieving the goal of a socially just civic political party that works across federal/provincial party affiliations;
5. Work in collaboration with other political parties: municipally, provincially, federally and globally;
6. Ensure that the health of our island ecosystems and surrounding Fraser River Estuary are respected by city operations;
7. Prioritize infrastructure and initiatives that impact social and environmental justice;